Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Freezer Food Quest

Week 4 of my "Eat Only Freezer Food" game and I'm proud of myself for sticking to the rules.  I have not bought anything for the freezer since February 28th.  Yes, I still buy fresh veggies and fruits, but I did not buy any meat or fish.

After four weeks of digging and looking deep the freezer, I've made good progress in reducing inventory.  
Let's see in the last week or so: I've baked a tray of stuffed clamsbroiled Japanese Saba fish, and made Cajun jambalaya using frozen green/red peppers, frozen peas, ham and chicken.  I did buy a package of Cajun sausage to kick it up a notch.  Nothing wrong with that, right?

Tonight, I made two more freezer food dishes:


First: What more ways to use the julienned pork? How about stir-frying it with Shiitake mushrooms and wooden ears and half of a can of julienned bamboo.  Add a sauce made of black bean paste, vinegar, rice wine and sugar to incorporate the flavors at the end, and I made my version of 魚香肉絲.  Yes, it was good!!


Second: What to do with bags of frozen veggies ready for steaming?  I thought steaming would be boring.  So, I stir-fried a bag of green beans with garlic, fresh crimini mushroom and half a can of baby corns.  I got a healthy dish and I got to clean out the canned food too.  BONUS POINT!








Mommy notes that I'm getting creative.  I accept the compliment shamelessly because I think I do deserve a pat on the back.  :o)

Bon appetit!

No comments: