Friday, March 30, 2012

Dream a Little Dream....

1 in 175,711,536.  That's the odds of one ticket matching all the winning numbers of tonight's mega lotto draw.  The lotto pot is $640 million and the entire country is going crazy.

So the chance of winning is almost nil but people are happily lining up to buy lotto tickets anyway.  The 7-11 on the other side of the office has a line stretching out the door.  I walked by at lunch today and I thought the line wasn't too bad.  Then, I realized the line actually snaked all the way to the back of the store and to the front again. Ugh! That was probably the longest lotto line I ever saw!!

So why do people- including me - still want to waste their time and money (with a big smile) knowing that they most likely won't hit the lotto??  I see it as a cheap thrill.  I see it as buying a fantastic dream.  Nobody really thinks that he/she will actually win but we can always dream, right?  And, someone - probably the luckiest person on earth - will win it eventually because there is that one in 175,711,536 chances.  Just like other lotto drawings, someone WILL win.

Never Say Never.  So I bought $2 lotto yesterday.  Hey, if I don't play, then I can't even dream about it.  And, I want to be able to say that I've participated in this once in a life time half-a-billion dollars lotto drawing.  Yes, half a billion dollars within anyone's reach (only if you play).  Now, how often can you say that?

So go ahead.  Dream a little dream....

1 comment:

John said...


If you have a lottery ticket, you
are infinitely more likely to win
the lottery than if you have zero
lottery tickets. If you have two
lottery tickets, it doesn't
increase your chances at all... :)

Cheers & good luck!

John McDonald