Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Who Speaks "Wine" - Part II

CHEERS TO ME. I decided to try a white wine that was on my wine rack for a while. A 2005 Summerland Bien Nacido Vineyard, Block U, Chardonnay. Thinking that it's already 5 years old, I better drink up and make room for new wine. So, bottom up!

It was a refreshing white with lots of fruitiness to it. It was a little unimpressive when I first tried it yesterday. Of course I WOULD NOT have drunk the whole bottle by myself in one night so half was saved for today. After some airing, the flavor really popped and it became a very easy wine that perked up all senses. Very fragrant with a good tropical fruit note - almost like pineapple if I must say. A hint of honey and went down smoothly. I polished the remaining bottle as I was cooking dinner.

After dinner, I decided to check out the official rating of this wine. NOW, WHY DIDN'T I THOUGHT OF DOING THAT FIRST??? What do you mean it was a $30 bottle of wine? UGH!! I wouldn't have drunk it all by my lonesome self if I knew it was that expensive!! What a waste! And the main thing is, IT'S OUT OF STOCK NOW!!! There were only 900 cases produced. Boy, if I have just checked it out first, I would have saved it for my wine drinking buddies. Sorry guys.... Hiccups!

For you who may be interested, here's one official review but for a 2004 Chardonnay. But, heck, check out the wine talk anyway...

"SUMMERLAND WINERY 2004 Chardonnay, Bien Nacido Vineyard (Block U) Shows soft and pleasant aromas of honeysuckle, apple and pear, along with a dusting of talcum powder/baby powder (and I mean that in a good, soothing way). Baked apple and pear flavors are built on a moderately structured frame and are in sync with its weight in the mouth. It’s not a big, boisterous Chardonnay but it was not meant to be, all the better to pair with a wider variety of food. The ripe fruit does a slow fade on the back palate, leaving a very harmonious impression." (http://www.summerlandwine.com/)

I still can't figure out how in the world did these experts come up with these descriptions (talcum powder??), but YES it was as good as it was said!! Enjoy, people, if you can find it!!

No comments: