Friday, December 04, 2009

Have You Bake Your Apple Pie Today?

Fall weather. Cold air. Dry leaves. Harvest time. Hot apple pie. Freshly brewed coffee. Can't ask for more!!

Apple Pie is easy to make yet it looks like million bucks. You can make very pretty pies that bring on Ooos and Ahhhs. Don't you like that? Here's how:

Start with the right apples. Some are just better than others. Pick ones that are tart, tangy and crunchy. Fuji apples are good ones to use. I don't like the peeling part but someone has to do it. OK... about 6 cups of sliced apples for a 9 inch pie dish. Toss the apples with: 3/4 cup sugar (I only use 1/2 cup because I don't like the pie too sweet), 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and dash of salt.

Prepare pie crusts. Huh, I fess up. I don't like making pie crusts. Too much work for me so I cheat. Pillsbury pie crusts are just as good as homemade. UGh! I know the real bakers are gasping now...
Arrange apple slices in the pie dish and dab the top with 2 table spoon of butter then top off with another pie crust. You can make a fancy top if you're up to it. Go ahead, do a pretty lattice top. I don't, because I get confused which stripe goes where.
Give the top a light egg wash before putting it in the oven. It will give the shell a pretty brown shiny coat when done.

Pop the pie in a pre-heated 425 degree oven and bake for 40-50 minutes depending on your oven. Mine is usually done between 40-45 minutes.

And what do you get? An apple pie that you can show off to family, friends and neighbors. Yes, you really can!! :)

See how easy it is? Even I, who doesn't like peeling, making pie crusts and who has no fancy baking talents can make yummy apple pies. Enjoy making the pie, enjoy baking, enjoy the season, and enjoy with your loved ones.

Happy Holidays, Everyone!!!

No comments: