Monday, November 16, 2009

To Blog or to FB?

If you blog, would you blog less or stop blogging altogether now that you're on Facebook? This was a survey question that I found quite intriguing.

What's the difference blogging here or posting updates on Facebook? Does any one care?

I have not thought about this before but, yes, couple of my buddies blog less now that they're on Facebook. What causes the behavior change? Is it just one less thing to keep up or human nature at work?

I guess Facebook offers instant satisfaction because your captive audience (your FB friends) will most likely respond to your postings (and favorably too) no matter how trivial they are. Blogging, on the other hand, may be a lonesome activity with no admiring fans. And by the way, how many of you actually read my blog???

We human animals thrive on recognition, connection and interaction and I think that's probably the main difference between Facebook and blogging.

I see that popular blogs will continue to have their own place but smaller personal blogs will probably migrate to other social network sites over time especially if they offer a platform to blog too. I would be interested in learning what others think.

Here's the thing: in order for more people to read this blog post, I'm going to have to post it to my Facebook page. Hmmm.... intriguing indeed.

No comments: